Welcome to Military Mayhem & Miscellaneous, a blog where I will share my new life, thoughts, projects, recipes, photos and adventures as a "rookie" army wife <3

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Brunch, Oreos & Football

This has been my first (and most likely the last) weekend off since Adam has been back from Ft. Polk. There was hope for a few weekends off since another assistant manager was hired at work, but it only lasted a week before an emergency came up and she had to move back home. At least I get my 40 hour weeks back, I know I'm not going to hate my paycheck. Yesterday was pretty good, Adam and I watched Big Bang Theory and sat around in our pajamas until it was time to go over to his buddy's house. One of his sergeants invited us and a few others over to his house to watch the UFC fight. I brought a big pot of Chicken Taco Chili, which Adam had requested even though I just made it literally 5 days ago, and also some oreo cheesecake truffles. If you haven't already made some of those truffles, I highly recommend them. I found the recipe on Pinterest a couple weeks ago and bookmarked the page. They were so easy to make and everyone loved them. I'll include the recipe at the end of this blog. Anyway, we had a great time hanging out. I finally met some other army wives that aren't psycho! Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang out with them again (:

As for today, we were supposed to watch football, but I'm currently watching Adam play video games & waiting for my quiche to get out of the oven so that Adam and I can have brunch. Usually when I make quiche, I just throw together whatever I have in the fridge. The combination I used today turned out great, so I'll post that recipe as well. Hopefully sometime this week I'll be able to get some poster board, fabric and a clip lamp so that I can set up a backdrop for photographs for my recipes. I'm sure you're tired of my Instagram-edited phone pics. Haha. Well, I hope you all had a great weekend. Enjoy the recipes!

OREO CHEESECAKE TRUFFLES
(recipe via Pinterest)
INGREDIENTS:
-approx. 1/2 package of Oreos
-1 block of cream cheese (8oz)
-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1/4 cup white chocolate chips (for garnish)
-2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp shortening

DIRECTIONS:

1. Crush the Oreos (pretty much the whole package, minus a handful, filling & all) until finely ground. A food processor does the best job, but if you don’t have one, throw the cookies in a ziploc bag, grab a rolling pin, and go to town.
2. Transfer 3 cups of the Oreo crumbs to a bowl and add the cream cheese. Using a spoon, press, mix and stir until the cream cheese is completely mixed into the Oreo crumbs and you have a soft, homogeneous mixture. Using a small cookie scoop (or the equivalent of 2 teaspoons), scoop/roll balls of the Oreo/cream cheese mixture and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Once you have scooped out all of the filling, refrigerate the baking sheet for at least 30 minutes, until firm.
3. In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and 2 tbsp of shortening in 30 second increments at 50% power, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth. Working with one Oreo ball at a time, dip it into the melted chocolate, roll it around to cover completely, and then use a fork to remove it from the chocolate, letting any excess drip off. Place the dipped truffle back on the wax paper-lined sheet. Repeat with all truffles; once finished, return the baking sheet to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
4. Serve the truffles, or garnish with some melted white chocolate (best if melted with 1/2 tsp of shortening to thin) and leftover crushed Oreos. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


SPINACH RICOTTA QUICHE

INGREDIENTS:
-5 eggs
-3 tbsp all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1/2 cup ricotta
-1/2 cup shredded cheese
-3 tbsp milk
-1/2 cup cooked sausage
-2 cups uncooked spinach
-2-3 whole roasted red peppers, diced
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375* and spray 9'' pie plate with cooking spray. Layer the spinach, diced roasted red peppers, cooked sausage and shredded cheese (I used colby jack) in the pie plate.
2. In medium bowl, combine eggs, flour, salt, pepper, sour cream, milk and ricotta. Whisk until blended well. Pour egg mixture into pie plate.
 3. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great and I'm sure tasted wonderful! I love reading your posts! Love you bunches girly!!!

    ReplyDelete